Saturday, 2 June 2012
In 1740 Himley Hall was a manor with a medieval moated manor house. The owner John Ward of Sedgley demolished it and commenced the Himley Hall that we know of today. The building was not completed in one phase and gradually progressed into a grand hall over a period of some eighty years.
With gardens by 'Capability Brown' the Hall has undergone many changes. The most significant and recent were in 1823 by the architect William Atkinson.
The hall was the home of the Ward family who had links with the royal family. Royalty has stayed at the hall and Edward VIII used to be a regular visitor. The Hall is now owned by the Wolverhampton and Dudley District Council which includes the parklands of some 180 acres.