Saturday, 11 August 2012
The Wychbury Hill Obelisk, known locally as the monument or the Hagley Obelisk, can be seen for miles around. Constructed in 1758 under instructions from Lord Lyttleton it dominates the landscape and is believed to have been built on the site of an ancient shrine.
The obelisk is fenced off due to the danger of it collapsing. It seems unlikely that it will ever be restored.
Graffiti on the structure reads "Who put Bella in the Wych Elm" refers to a mystery dating back to the 1940's when poachers discovered the skeleton of a young woman in an old Wych elm nearby.
Wychbury Hill is still part of the estate of the Viscounts Cobham of Hagley Hall although it can be accessed from public footpaths.